Friday, May 22, 2026
av1tvnews@gmail.com
Africa

Ghana Delays Evacuation of Citizens From South Africa After Xenophobia Outrage

Accra cites legal clearance and coordination challenges as evacuation of over 800 nationals faces delay amid renewed xenophobic tensions in South Africa.

Ghanian nationals prepare their luggage at OR Tambo International Airport in Ekurhuleni on March 21, 2026, before an evacuation flight failed to materialise, leaving stranded nationals who had gathered to board the flight. Ghana said on May 21, 2026 it has delayed the evacuation of more than 800 of its citizens from South Africa after a viral video showing the assault of a Ghanaian man triggered outrage amid anti-migrant violence. The evacuation exercise, initially scheduled to begin on May 21, was postponed because of the large number of evacuees and legal clearance procedures required by South African authorities, Ghana's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on May 21, 2026. (Photo by EMMANUEL CROSET / AFP)
Telling African Stories One Voice at a time!

Ghana has delayed the planned evacuation of more than 800 citizens from South Africa following renewed xenophobic tensions sparked by a viral video showing the alleged assault of a Ghanaian man.

The footage, which circulated widely on social media, showed Emmanuel Asamoah, a Ghanaian resident in South Africa, being attacked during the latest wave of violence targeting foreign nationals in the country.

Earlier this month, Ghana’s foreign ministry announced plans to evacuate its citizens from South Africa due to growing safety concerns.

The evacuation process was scheduled to begin on Thursday. However, Ghanaian authorities said the operation has been postponed for a few days because of logistical and legal procedures required by South African authorities.

“Considering the numbers involved and the South African legal conditions that have to be met, including mandatory passenger screening, multi-institutional coordination and flight permits, the planned evacuation has been deferred by a few days,” the ministry said in a statement.

According to the ministry, officials from both Ghana and South Africa are working together to speed up the process and ensure a smooth evacuation exercise.

Despite the earlier announcement, AFP journalists reported that only one Ghanaian arrived at Johannesburg’s O.R. Tambo International Airport on Thursday for the planned departure.

The Ghanaian government has promised to provide evacuees with financial support packages and psycho-social assistance to help them reintegrate after returning home.

The latest developments have reignited debates across Africa over xenophobia, migration, and the challenges faced by African migrants despite ongoing calls for continental unity and integration.

Ghana has repeatedly pushed for stronger African Union attention on xenophobic violence, warning that repeated attacks threaten Africa’s free movement goals and broader integration efforts under initiatives such as the African Continental Free Trade Area.

Meanwhile, Emmanuel Asamoah, whose assault was captured in the viral video, has safely returned to Ghana.

Telling African Stories One Voice at a time!
Victoria Emeto
the authorVictoria Emeto
A bright and self-driven graduate trainee at AV1 News, she brings fresh energy and curiosity to her role. With a strong academic background in Mass Communication, she has a solid foundation in storytelling, audience engagement, and media ethics. Her passion lies in the evolving media landscape, particularly how emerging technologies are reshaping content creation and distribution. She is already carving a niche for herself as a skilled journalist, honing her reporting, writing, and research abilities through hands-on experience. She actively explores the intersection of digital innovation and traditional journalism.

Leave a Reply