The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arrested former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, who was recently convicted and sentenced by the Federal High Court in Abuja for financial misappropriation linked to major power projects.
EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, confirmed the arrest during a press briefing on Tuesday, revealing that the former minister was apprehended at about 3:30 a.m. in Kano.
According to Olukoyede, the EFCC had filed charges against Mamman in January 2025 over allegations that he diverted more than ₦33 billion meant for the Mambilla and Zungeru hydroelectric power projects.
“You will recall that sometime in January 2025, we filed charges against the ex-minister of power for allegedly converting over ₦33 billion set aside for the Mambilla and Zungeru power projects,” Olukoyede said.
He explained that after about 15 months of trial proceedings, the Federal High Court secured convictions against the former minister on all 12 counts brought against him by the anti-graft agency.
Olukoyede stated that Mamman failed to appear in court during sentencing proceedings, leading to his conviction and sentencing in absentia on May 13, 2026.
“Since then, we decided to open our intelligence surveillance to the public, looking for him all over the place. I am happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr. Saleh Mamman somewhere in Kano,” he added.
The EFCC chairman disclosed that Mamman was arrested alongside two other individuals accused of shielding and protecting the convicted former minister from law enforcement authorities.
He further stated that the commission would investigate the property where Mamman was arrested as part of ongoing inquiries.
Olukoyede described the arrest as a strong indication of the Federal Government’s commitment to the fight against corruption and financial crimes in Nigeria.
“It is to assure Nigerians that anyone who has taken government or national resources will not go unpunished, and the eagle eye of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding,” he said.
The trial judge, James Omotosho, had sentenced Mamman to a total of 75 years imprisonment after finding him guilty on all 12 counts of money laundering offences linked to the Zungeru and Mambilla hydroelectric power projects.
Justice Omotosho ruled that the prison terms would run consecutively, resulting in a cumulative sentence of 75 years.
The judge held that Mamman deliberately absented himself from court in an attempt to frustrate the administration of justice.
The court sentenced the former minister to seven years imprisonment each on Counts 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 without an option of fine.
He also received a three-year prison sentence on Count 4 with an option of a ₦10 million fine, while Count 5 attracted a two-year jail term without the option of a fine.
Justice Omotosho further directed all security agencies to work with Interpol to ensure Mamman’s arrest and prosecution.






