Thursday, February 19, 2026
av1tvnews@gmail.com
Africa

Four South Africans Return Home After Being Trapped in Donbas

Men lured to fight alongside Russian forces rescued amid ongoing international concerns.

Telling African Stories One Voice at a time!

Four South African men who became trapped in Ukraine’s Donbas region after being lured into fighting alongside Russian forces returned home on Wednesday, the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) reported.

Police were on hand at O.R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg to receive the men, who were part of a group of 17 South Africans that sent distress calls to their government in November.

Cyril Ramaphosa, South Africa’s President, had raised the fate of the men in a phone call with Vladimir Putin earlier this month. Following the discussion, the two leaders pledged support for the process of returning South Africans involved with Russian forces in Ukraine.

A police spokesperson and South Africa’s foreign ministry declined to comment, and the Russian Embassy in Pretoria did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Ramaphosa’s spokesperson told Reuters that “the process to secure the return of the men is ongoing as discussed by both President Ramaphosa and President Putin.”

Under South African law, it is illegal for citizens to provide military assistance to foreign governments or participate in foreign armies without government authorisation.

The Donbas region, largely controlled by Russian forces, has seen intense fighting since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

South Africa has sought to maintain a non-aligned stance on the war while preserving strong relations with Moscow as a fellow member of the BRICS.

Other countries, including India, Nepal, and Sri Lanka, have reported citizens being recruited under false pretences to fight for Russia. Recently, Kenya rescued 27 nationals stranded in Russia after being illegally enlisted to fight in Ukraine. Kenyan Foreign Minister Musalia Mudavadi said he plans to visit Russia to prevent further recruitment of Kenyan citizens.

Telling African Stories One Voice at a time!
Victoria Emeto
the authorVictoria Emeto
A bright and self-driven graduate trainee at AV1 News, she brings fresh energy and curiosity to her role. With a strong academic background in Mass Communication, she has a solid foundation in storytelling, audience engagement, and media ethics. Her passion lies in the evolving media landscape, particularly how emerging technologies are reshaping content creation and distribution. She is already carving a niche for herself as a skilled journalist, honing her reporting, writing, and research abilities through hands-on experience. She actively explores the intersection of digital innovation and traditional journalism.

Leave a Reply