The Federal Government has filed a three-count charge against former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over the alleged interception of communications belonging to Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
The charges were filed at the Federal High Court in Abuja by the Department of State Services.
Last week, El-Rufai claimed during an appearance on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme that he and other unnamed individuals listened to conversations from Ribadu’s phone after it was allegedly tapped by a third party.
Although he acknowledged that such interception is technically unlawful, he argued that illegal surveillance was not unusual.
According to the charge sheet obtained on Monday, the Federal Government stated that El-Rufai admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the NSA’s phone communications.
Count One
The government alleged that on February 13, 2026, while appearing on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, El-Rufai admitted to unlawfully intercepting the phone communications of the National Security Adviser.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
Count Two
In the second count, the government accused El-Rufai of stating during the same interview that he knew and related with an individual who unlawfully intercepted Ribadu’s communications without reporting the person to relevant security agencies.
The charge is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
Count Three
The third count alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large used technical equipment or systems in 2026 that compromised public safety and national security by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.
This offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
The charges mark a significant escalation in the dispute between the former governor and the Federal Government.
Legal analysts say the case could test the scope of Nigeria’s cybercrime and communications laws, particularly regarding admissions made during media interviews.
As of press time, El-Rufai had not publicly responded to the specific charges filed against him.






